Friday, February 13, 2009

Can we talk about something?

Why is it that logic, rationality, respect, dignity, and objectivity seem to go right out the window when people try to discuss certain topics? In particular, I'm thinking of the topic of homosexuality. I think that this is the case because the two parties involved both believe the opinions that they are holding are moral imperatives. One party thinking homosexuality is wrong, the other thinking that if you think it's wrong you're on par with racists. This is an oversimplification, but it serves to the get the train rolling. But people can change the moral imperatives can't they? Shouldn't they at least be open to it, I mean we're talking about morals? I'm willing to be wrong, but I won't concede to utter subjectivity, sensationalism, and sentimentality. I will listen to anybody who's willing to work through an issue with honesty, and respect. But as soon as those boundaries are crossed it's not a discussion worth having, but it does need to happen, that is the discussion. Let us listen to what each other is trying to say, and if we cannot agree, let us above all love one another. I will be writing more about this topic, offering by own opinions. I hope we can get somewhere.

No comments: