Sunday, April 5, 2009

Christian Theology

The other day a very honest man sat down with me at a coffee shop, bought me a tea, and proceeded to be very honest with me. This man is a career military man. This man is a Christian, one who holds unswerviingly to the docrine of the sacrifical atonement of Christ, the bodily resurrection of Christ. the deity of Christ, and the unconditionalitty of our common salvation. In short, we believed the same basic things about the universe, except that it seems we live in different universes. He is of course career military. I am of course a pacifist. How two people can serve the same God, follow the same faith, believe the same Bible, and see world events so differently is really interesting, and potentially upsetting. The key word is potentially. To be sure, my pascifism. upset my military friend. He made this plain to me. But in an honest way, a straightforward, congenial, respectable way, and for this I am honestly grateful. Sometimes, not even my closest friends,with whom I share a universe, want to express their discontent with me. Sometimes, even my closest friends would rather tell other friends about their discontent with me, and wait until it gets to me in its distorted and hurtful form. Sometimes, I do this to my closest friends. But for once somebody came to me with an honest complaint, and he didn't come to simply express an opinion, but to ask questions, to try to understand, but to vent as well, which is perfectly allowable if one is open minded. Open-mindedness is a virtue not so easily found among the "tolerant" generation. I hope I have expressed due appreciation. In the cafe' we bantered back and forth. But we also told our stories, and this helped quell any animosity. We had the kind of discussion I only barely believed was possible. Honest, emotionally and intellectually, but courteous, respectfu,and open minded. And when it was over after an hour, I left feeling like I'd gained a brother. And that is what's important.
But of less foundational matters, how can two people read the same Bible and have such two different opinions as to what it says about war, and what does this say about the Christian claim to the Bible as authoritative, and inspired, a position we both hold to different degrees I assume? And how much can we disagree on before its too much, and what does that look like? In no way will I answer any of these questions exhaustively or even mostly in this post. If anything, I will merely make some perspectival suggestions and will refrain from absolute objectivity. Perhaps simply bringing up the question will suffice. Here's what I believe to be true. This man and I are both Christians. I am right to be a pacifist, and am not sure if he is wrong not to be. Our discussion was profitable. Some things, dare I say most things are not simple in this life, and this applies no less to Christianity. But love covers a multitude of sin, and love can look like listening to someone from another universe whether or not that universe is parallel, or irrevocably different. The man and I, I should say, are in universes parallel, paradoxically with similar lines that we will not cross. Lines that pertain to the gospel. When you read this, note that while I have made suggestions that to you seem to be on shaky ground, I have not offered any conclusions. Let this spark discussion. How may Christians converse, get along, and do theology in a Christlike and redemptive way even when they disagree or live in parallel universes? I think my military friend's example deserves notice and duplication, and is an answer to this dilemma. Christians can converse, get along, and do theology in a Christlike and redemptive way even when they disagree or live in parallel universes by being honest, having the courage to tell somebody how they feel with boldness by having the fortitude to stick by their conviction or change their mind when it's called for, by listening, and not judging, and finally by seeking to learn, not to prove.

No comments: