Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Thing About Blogs

The thing about blogging is that it is difficult to avoid shameless self-promotion. The thing about modern America is that this isn't all that bad. "Self-promotion is such a harsh way to say it. Why not call it self-motivated, ambitious, inspired" Whatever. I'd rather call it what it is: "The employment of one's interest in writing to get his or her thoughts and feelings out there, not to mention one's writing, without having to face any immediate consequences." Well, it doesn't have to be that pathetic. Not that I'm not guilty of portraying otherwise, but... one cannot think that the mere bearing of one's own thoughts and feelings can have an automatic impact without grossly overestimating oneself and/or displaying an acute deficiency of humility. (I love words)So I have decided to use this post to say something that's beyond my own internalization, something I believe objectively outside of myself, that I believe if others believe it too, that they will be better off than they are now. Therefore, I must tell it, right?

I believe that Jesus is Christ is LORD. I meant to capitalize LORD, because I believe that Jesus is the creator God of the universe. I realize the Bible says that "God is one". I affirm this too. Jesus is the one God of the universe in the form of a man. He is not a half-man, half-God hybrid. He is a human being, and He is God. He was both eternal, always existing, and born of a virgin in Bethlehem some two millenia ago.

I believe that Jesus is the promised Messiah. The Old Testament promised God's people a savior, and though he was not the military savior that God's covenant people at the time, the Jewish people, thought he was going to be, He was so much more, the savior from sin and death, for all people. He died on the cross for a specific reason; to atone for our sin. Without this atonement all people would be lost in their sins, without hope, without God. And certainly the main reason for a lack of hope in an individual is their refusal to accept Jesus' atonement for their sin. But the Bible says that there is no other name by which we must be saved, that it's by God's grace, through faith that we are saved, not by works which we have done. Works would include prayer, good deeds, taking of the sacraments. If a right relationship with God could be restored by doing these things, then Christ died for nothing.

I believe that the Holy Spirit is God, thus a person, not a force. God is still one, and in the Holy Spirit he shows up in the unseen form of guidance for believers in Jesus. Ultimately, I must accept that the Christian doctrine of the Trinity is a mystery.

I believe that Jesus is returning to earth at any time. When He comes back He will judge the world. Those who have placed their faith in Him, whose sins are effectively atoned for, will live with Him forever, but those who have chosen to try and atone for their own sin will of course fail to do so, since God's requirement is perfection, which is only found in His Son Jesus. They will pay the wages of sin, death, a.k.a. eternal separation from God a.k.a. hell.

I believe this is good news. We all find ourselves in this existential confusion. We all are pining for some underlying meaning and purpose to our lives. We are all going to die. We all, if we're honest, think this is a problem, and we're at a loss for why we die, and how it's remedied. Could it be that simply being good, (how subjective is that?!) solves the problem? Think about it. It cannot be. It just can't. The solution is faith in Jesus. Jesus gives our life meaning, and purpose. Because of Jesus, I know that I will live forever. That reminds me of one last thing that I believe. Jesus rose from the dead! Death simply could not contain the God-man. And to enter into the life of Christ,(true Christianity)is to enter into His way of life(portrayed in the Gospel)thus his death(spiritually(death to sin), and physically, and resurrection. And if Jesus did not rise from the dead. Forget everything I just said. If he did, and this isn't true? what do you make of Jesus' life and crucifixion. Was it all just a big show?

Jesus died for our sins and rose again. He is the promised savior of the world. This is what I believe. You can take it or leave it and/or ask questions. But I highly suggest you take it. In fact, if there was no such a thing as free will, I would just make you take it. But for whatever reason God saw fit to give us a free will, the ability to willfully come to faith in Him. Choose Christ. It will change your life. Forever.

No comments: