Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Ramblings

Generally liberals are intuitive in the things that they value. The preservation of our environment; the protection of women; the right treatment of people regardless of their sexual preferences/orientation/whatever you want to call it; the simple atrocity of war which is essentially killing people for nationalistic or greedy reasons, not usually is self-defense or the ironic preservation of life; the observation that guns kill people, and so the logical necessity to remove guns from society; and the need to take care of the "less fortunate".
Admittedly I grew up in highly conservative environments, and so this will taint or improve my point of view, depending on how you view it. But I see many of the liberal intuitive values as shortsighted, naive, and ultimately deceitful. For instance, it sounds nice to repeal gun laws but pragmatically that means that all the people who got them legally can no longer get them, which means that two groups of people will be armed, the government and criminals. It's good to give the less fortunate money, but its bad to reward the irresponsible, and it is not prudent, nor fun to have a chunk of our income go to an invisible middle man called the government, so that irresponsibility and maddening bureaucracy flourishes.
I may have just built some of the biggest straw men you've ever seen. Feel free to knock them down yourselves. Enlighten me, but I must say this is just the way I see it.
But here's the other thing I don't understand. Why don't conservatives understand what they sound like when they vehemently disagree and appeal to past traditions to support their vehement opposition? I mean the problem with the liberal view is that it is naive and intuitive, right? It's not intentionally destructive, I don't think? So while there may be room to point out the pragmatic difficulties, when you show vehement disagreement, when you show passion, it's hard for the rest of us to think that anyone is that passionate about correcting naivety, so we naturally assume that you (conservatives)throw logic out the window, and generally love to kill your enemies which are, "the bastards who flew their planes into the Twin Towers," and "liberals".
If hippies are threatening to you, I wonder what it is that's at stake. Can a hippie make someone less manly, by just existing? Are pacifists dangerous? The only really safe people are the ones who are armed? I see people get really mad when they see someone dressing differently, or talk differently, or act differently. I don't understand it. I've seen dudes in frustration express their wishes that people would just be normal. Maybe my makeup is different. But I just don't care. I mean, if you have a problem with skinny jeans, then at least understand that the ancient Egyptians have just as much of a right to accost you for your "pants".

No comments: