Monday, January 3, 2011

Don't Get It

I'm missing something. Nothing is self-evident to everyone. That's what makes things so difficult. I need to hear the reasoning of folks who are not outraged that there's a 7-9 team in the playoffs who gets a first round home game, and two 10-6 teams are out of it? Here's what I've heard. "You win your division you're in." What? Why? That's not an answer that's a restatement of the problem. Why should it be that way? If you can answer me that, that would be an answer.
To me divisions exist to maintain and forge rivalries (which is sweet), and to keep teams from traveling all over the country, except the Cowboys, (which is fine by me as well.) If you disallow the Seahawks this year, you still have you're division battles, and the tie-breaker's can still go to the team with the best divisional record. But also, you would not get a chance to have a NFC West Championship. That's the one downside. But to me missing this year's NFC West Championship is like missing this year's professional lacrosse championship. I can live with that. I'd much rather not see the Bucs and Giants miss the playoffs than miss the "compelling" Rams and Seahawks battle out for the league's coveted, "most mediocre title". No, not even "mediocre", more like, "Not as bad as ten other teams title" The NFL HAS to change this. It is self-evident to me. Apparently to others it's self-evident that you win your division, you're in. I don't know. Win at least 9 games in a 16 game season and you're in. Sounds reasonable to me.

No comments: