Thursday, January 13, 2011

Picking the Games

I've never done this before. And I'm super stoked about it. I really should have went into sports broadcasting. I'm going to pick the games this week using the line.

First things first; Baltimore is getting 3 points. This is the easiest game to pick because everyone knows that the team who wins will not win by more than three points. It's a coin flip game anyway. I'm going with Baltimore and I'll explain a little more later, but for now it will suffice to say that Pittsburgh could easily win, but I doubt they win by more than three.

Second; Green Bay is getting 2.5. Green Bay is hot. I love Aaron Rodgers. I love the Packers defense. I really just like the Packers. I picked them to win the Super Bowl. But... Everyone, and I mean everyone is going with the Pack, and that's just way to suspicious. The three main areas that help us all pick these games is QB: Push with a slight advantage to Ryan at home. DEF: Packers. Coach: Microscopic advantage to McCarthy when considering experience in big games, but you have to impressed with Smith's job in Atlanta in just three years. So the Packers win definitively in the defensive category, and barely in the Coaching department, but I still think that the ATL is a huge home field advantage, and although it hammers against my reason, for the reason that everyone likes the dog in this one, I'm taking, ever so reluctantly, the Falcons to cover.

Third; Seattle is getting 10. Seattle has 11 men this week. Seattle is 8-9. Seattle is coming off an emotional win. If Seattle wins, it won't be by much. If they lose, we know it will be massive. Considering all this, and my gut (which always hates the Seachickens) a no brainer pick for the Bears and I'm taking the points.

Last: The Jets are getting 8.5. Think about this. What's the least amount of points that the beastly Pats offense could put up? The absolute least? I say 24. What is the most that Mark Sanchez, in the freezing cold, who had a terrible game last week against the Colts indoors, could put up on a somewhat equal defense, even if they ran all over them. I say 17. Consider that the football gods love Rex Ryan which closes the current 7 point gap by 4. So now we're down to three. But we've just determined the most the Jets could score and the least the Pats could score. Considering all of that, and the Rex Ryan factor we've determined a 4 point Patriots victory, but let's be a little more objective. I really think the Pats will put up 31, and I think the max the Jets could score is 17, so to meet in the middle lets add another 3.5 to the 4 we have for the Jets, and after all that we have... the Jets covering? Yeah, the Jets covering. All because of the Rex Ryan factor? Does the Rex Ryan factor cause him to make a game closer, or just win? Hmm... I say the Jets cover but barely.

No comments: