Monday, November 23, 2009

Musical taste is subjective. (A rant)

I'd rather be the shallow clueless adorer of pop, than the self-righteous snobbish follower of wherever the underground is these days. In fact I assume that to someone or some society out there I am a lame sheep following that rest of the "indie" herd, and that these people whoever they are have no such label. Perhaps they are the real independents. I could live my life clamoring through old record stores to find the diamonds in the rough, to always like the band that nobody's ever heard of, or I can like what I like come what criticism, and nose raising may. I could realize that I am not taking my cd's with me when I die and that God will not love me more for watching foreign films and hate me more for owning everything Death Cab ever did. It's all relative anyway; the whole scene thing. Some of you are saying "Death Cab?", and I am saying to you. "They're better than whatever Taylor Swift crap you're listening to", then tomorrow some kid who is cooler than me will show me some CD put out by some electronica punk country band from Russia called "I can see Sarah Palin from my Bathroom", who only sing in 2nd century Latin, and I'll say I've never heard of them, and they suck. And this kid will inevitably say to me "They're better than whatever Death Cab crap you're listening to. "Shall I at this point be ashamed of Death Cab?" No. If I don't know where this indie enlightenment ends, I am content to end it here.
By the way I am convinced that snobbery goes both ways. People should be allowed to like what they like without people with inferiority complex's making them feel guilty. But really, some of you perpetuate the snob image, because you actually think of yourself as better if you have "better taste" in music, or wine, or coffee, or anything. Just get over it please. Everyone like what you like and demand that Taylor Swift propaganda stops being pushed on the increasing herd complex of our youth. If you like bad music, you like bad music. But don't act like you know its good. For there's always someone out there who will say about your favorite band what you say about somebody else's favorite band. You know what; musical taste is subjective. Sorry. It is. I am really not as angry as I sound in that last part. I intended this to be satirical and funny. So... please get that vibe.

No comments: