Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Coffee

As they say, I am a coffee snob. However,I take slight offense at the term snob. If by "snob" they mean that I look down on other people for drinking crappy coffee, then I am not a snob. If by snob, they mean that I enjoy great coffee and they're irrationally intimidated by that fact, then yes I am a snob. Some people are picky about certain things. I think that being a connoisseur of something makes life a little more interesting. There's nothing wrong with that. I do apologize for being a bit cheeky about it, up to this point. I hope I didn't offend anybody. Like I said I was being sorta funny, but I always tend to appreciate people who appreciate finer things. I suppose that it can come off as snobbish, but I think that most people who enjoy certain things, such as coffee, do not intend to give that impression. For most people the motivation is just to be into something nice. I don't hate Folgers. I do not hope it fails as a business. I hope it succeeds as a business. But its not good coffee. It's just not. If you think it is, okay. I can admit that taste in coffee is somewhat subjective, though not completely. Dirt never tastes good. That's objective.
But here's what I am asking. I am asking for the right to opine about what I think is good and bad coffee. And I ask that I not be accused of thinking I'm better than those who drink lesser coffees. How could I think that in this situation? I give you the courtesy to opine about whatever thing you want to as well. I give you the courtesy of letting you openly share your opinion. Let me share mine. After all, its just coffee.

No comments: