Monday, December 6, 2010

It's Beginning To Feel a lot Like Christmas

I'm not usually associated with one who is bubbling with that vague moniker: "Christmas spirit". I walked out my door today, it was snowing. And I got that feeling. You know that feeling. That little warmness like hot cocoa, teeming in the knowledge of the approaching festivities, the lights, the tree, the wreaths, the smells, the sounds, and the briskness in the air, the feel on your cheeks after taking a walk and coming home putting on your sweater and wool socks and snuggling with your special someone with something sweet in your cup. (Is that Christmas spirit?) I actually thought, "You know it really is the most wonderful time of the year".
And then I had to get gas. As I stood outside for what seemed like 10 minutes, I noticed one, that the temperature was 30, but that also a crisp wind was blowing, so I would say that it felt like 20 on my face, and two I noticed that gas was $3.09 a gallon. And then I got back in my car which takes until I get where I'm going to heat up to a comfortable temperature, and braved the horrendous traffic of downtown Scranton. I finally settled and then walked a block to the cafe' in which this post is being written. The moment I left my house this morning, and noticed that it was snowing, and got that warm feeling in my belly, it was gone by the time I was pumping gas. And I remembered why Christmas exists; to distract us from the reality that December is the most horrible time of the year. The shortest day of the year is in December. I think that the most hipster slackers see is 20 minutes of daylight that day. It's cold. Cold is unpleasant. As unpleasant as hot can be. Cold is much more unpleasant. The first snow is nice and nostalgic, and even pretty, but it is not long until the dogs, the plows, and the children turn into various shades of colors only elsewhere seen in toilets. I do like the evenings of cuddling, but I can't do that in the summer? I can do that in a pool or a beach in the summer!
I will not go into the endless woes of Christmas time. I have already mentioned all that is possibly good about it, which melts away as soon as you pump gas, shovel snow, or scrape the ice off of your car as you become later and later for work. Still, without Christmas, December would be even worse. But we can at least be honest about it.

No comments: