Thursday, December 2, 2010

Movies

I'm not a movie critic. But so what if I was? I'm not an actor or a filmmaker. Just a simple viewer for whom most of these movies are made (thankfully not all) And thankfully I am an American and most likely so are you, so you have to believe I have a right to share my opinion, even if it may be incredible.

So here are my thoughts on some recent movies I've watched.

Doubt-
I wonder how much skill it really took to make a movie as open ended as this. There is a subtle difference between laziness and subtlety. If you're open-ended enough, and know the right philosophical questions you can make anything seem profound. But with a work of art, being different than philosophy, its profundity is found in a large number of things, and is admittedly, annoyingly subjective. However, no aspect of this movie is poor. But what makes it truly outstanding isn't its plot, or its ability to solicit different responses from different individuals, which interestingly, is only remarkable because the movie works on every other level, and the frustrating thing is that the movie's creators are pretentious enough to think that it is the open ended aspect which makes their movie, when really it is the superb acting which makes the open ended aspect really really fun.) The acting jobs take this from the most mediocre movie ever made, to one of my favorite. But give no credit to the director, who simply found good actors who know how to provoke interesting questions that the philosophers conjured up centuries ago.

American Beauty-
If you really want this to be a derivative satire on the American suburban life, you can hate this movie, but given all the other great elements of this movie, can you possibly believe than director Sam Mendes is that dumb? To me its not a satire at all. It doesn't attempt to be. I don't mind unoriginality because I think to a large extent originality is just like the American dream, a mirage. The movie is a simple coming of age tale, and the fulfillment and victory that Lester experiences is real. It's scored well; acted well. The cinematography is great. It's entertaining, it's meaningful, and it understands the human condition.

No comments: