Saturday, June 27, 2009

Thoughts on Michael Jackson

This does seem to be what everyone is talking about. I've been avoiding press media for days now. I am just not that fascinated by Michael Jackson. Is there some intrigue? Of course. Is there a substantial amount? Undoubtedly. Does it warrant a good amount of press? I believe it does. But personally, I don't need it 24/7. But I assume everyone has a thought on it so... here is mine. Michael Jackson is the consummate talented, iconic, anti-hero.  Ironically, if Michael made any significant influence in our world, it has escaped me for the present. Michael certainly made an impression, but an influence? His main influence was in the arena of his dancing which was often proverbially "sick".  I believe many emulate his dancing, and his ability to hold a crowd, put on a show, his ability to be an icon is unsurpassed. But his music... good... but shallow; hollow. Followers... none any would respect or take seriously. 
Michael Jackson is to pop music what the President is to world politics, what Michael Jordan is to sports, what the Beatles are to Rock and Roll, what Shakespeare is to literature, what Oprah is to talk television, and dare I say what Jesus is to western religion. Absolutely at the top and completely transcendent. But politics are politics, and sports are sports. Rock n Roll is Rock n Roll. Literature is literature. Talk television is talk television. Religion is religion.  And pop music is pop music. And when Michael Jackson transcended pop music, he blew up into a dimension that was really "out of this world". 
For me his legacy was a sad one. Do any of us believe that Michael was happy? Did anyone ever try to reach out to him? For all of his global fame he always seemed out of sorts, unhappy, confused and lonely. We perpetually felt this tense feeling of reverence for his deserved stardom and disgust for his behavior as a father and in some cases as a man in general. He was acquitted of sexual abuse charges, and I am no judging him. If he says he didn't do it, he didn't do it. But I can't help but wonder, what happened in this man's life, that made embody a sense of awe and disgust wrapped into the same figure? 
Will I miss Michael Jackson? No. Here's why: 1) I didn't know him 2) I am very comfortable in life without his music. I was a kid when he was big. 3) I really didn't enjoy seeing him in the tabloids. It made me sad.  To me Michael Jackson's life was a Wildean drama. It was tragic, but worth all of this media coverage. When I die, I don't care how many people know or care, but that people at my funeral can say that I made a meaningful difference in their life.  I am sure that Michael made plenty of difference in his personal life. I just never got to see it. God bless Michael Jackson. 

No comments: