Saturday, June 20, 2009

Twitter

I was planning on writing this as part of my "review" of twitter:  Twitter is the epitome of this generation's woeful and overinflated sense of self-importance. But at this moment I do not feel quite as strong or bitter. While I don't necessarily feel that twitter is definitely "the epitome", it can certainly be an indicator and a heightener of this generation's de facto "overinflated sense of self-importance".  It doesn't have to be, but it can be.  Two things bother me about twitter when used wrongly. 1) Why do people care what famous people are doing at any given moment? 2)Why do you think people care enough about what you are doing to have a twitter? If you say its not about that, its about networking, then how is it more useful than facebook? If you say that with twitter you don't have all these applications to deal with, you really don't have to deal with them on facebook either.  I am sure I am missing something, so if somebody can tell me what that is, I want to hear it before I start feeling like a grumpy old man who wants to hang on to his familiar facebook, but it seems that twitter is used because its good for networking (so is facebook), and you can see what people are up to any time, and they can see what you're up to. Really? You can't just call someone? Well, sure you can't call Ashton Kutcher. (Did I spell that right?) But if you don't know someone well enough to call them, why do you care what they are doing? "They're cute" is not an answer. "They're funny" is not an answer" I suppose twitter is a good way to see what shows and stuff are playing. And it's these kinds of things that got me thinking today that twitter isn't all that bad. And my problem isn't with twitter. It's with the abuses of it that are the same kinds of things with myspace and facebook. I like to use it for networking, advertising, keeping in touch with people, but for some people these networking sites are hobbies. Less time on these sites just for being social, and more time going to the ice cream shop for being social, might help to curb that infamous sense of isolation that this adolescent generation struggles with. And beyond  just networking sites. Do we have to have conversations via text messages. I understand if you can't talk. But I've literally watched people have a texting conversation with a person who lives 5 miles away! Are you kidding me? Put down the xbox controller, the netflix, the ps937, the laptop, the text messaging machine with the inexplicable numbers on it, and go to a barbecue. Please. (I feel old)

No comments: